How your physician in Southlake, Texas can help you maintain your health
Heart problems can be scary, and they can keep you from enjoying your life to the fullest. You can do a lot to prevent heart problems. The key is leading a heart-healthy lifestyle. Dr. Daniel Elias Melville at Melville Medicine in Southlake, Texas offers a wide range of medical services, including ways to help prevent heart problems.
So, how do you live a heart-healthy lifestyle? It’s easier than you think.
There are some important ways to modify your lifestyle. Consider:
- Increasing your level of exercise to at least 30 minutes on most days of the week. Include some aerobic exercises to get your heart pumping, like jogging, brisk walking, or swimming.
- Practicing stress management techniques like yoga, walking, reading, or meditation.
- Avoiding fried and fatty foods like whole fat dairy, and red meats. Use low-fat dairy products instead, and try eating fish, turkey, or chicken.
- Eating fruits and vegetables with lots of fiber, to help you feel full.
- Practicing an excellent oral hygiene program which includes brushing after meals and flossing every day. Good oral health can lower your risk of serious heart issues like endocarditis and heart disease.
- Monitoring your blood pressure and cholesterol regularly, with the help of your doctor. Make sure to take all medications as prescribed.
- Living a heart-healthy lifestyle can lower your risk of heart problems, but there is still genetics to deal with. Your family history plays an important part in whether you are at increased risk for heart problems.
That’s why seeking out the help of your doctor is so important. You should contact your doctor as soon as possible if you experience:
- Pressure or a squeezing feeling in your chest
- Radiating chest pain that extends into your neck, shoulders, arms, or jaw
- Continuing chest pain that increases
- Chest pain along with sweating, paleness, or breathing problems
- Heart palpitations, or a rapid, irregular heartbeat
You can protect your heart by living a heart-healthy lifestyle, and your doctor can help. To find out more about preventing heart problems, call Dr. Daniel Elias Melville of Melville Medicine in Southlake, Texas at (817) 676-2010. Call today!