Posts for: December, 2020
How your doctor in Southlake, Texas can help you stay healthy
The health of your heart is vital to you staying alive. Heart conditions are life-threatening, and at the very least, debilitating. When you have problems with your heart, it can make it difficult to stay active and enjoy your life.
You don’t have to be a senior to have a heart condition. The truth is, heart problems can happen to anyone. Your doctor can help diagnose and treat heart conditions. Dr. Daniel Elias Melville at Melville Medicine in Southlake, Texas offers comprehensive medical care, including cardiac evaluation and treatment.
So, how do you know if you need a cardiac evaluation? There are some signs and symptoms to pay attention to, including if you have:
- Chest pain with a feeling of squeezing or pressure in your chest
- Pain that radiates into other areas including your jaw, shoulders, neck, or arms
- Chest pain that becomes continuous and doesn’t get better when you rest
- Chest pain, along with paleness, sweating, and problems breathing
- A rapid or irregular pulse or heart palpitations
Heart problems are often first discovered through a routine physical with your doctor. A cardiac evaluation may be recommended if you have:
- A family history of heart disease
- A blood pressure that exceeds 120/80
- A cholesterol level of 200mg/dl or higher
You can do a lot to prevent heart disease by living a heart-healthy lifestyle. Some healthy modifications include:
- Quitting smoking
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Eating a diet low in saturated fats and sodium
- Getting at least 30 minutes of exercise on most days of the week
- Visiting your doctor regularly to monitor your blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, and other factors.
If you are referred for a cardiac evaluation, you will probably need a cardiac stress test to determine how well your heart functions, an echocardiogram to check the structures of your heart, and an electrocardiogram to check heart rhythm.
A cardiac evaluation can help diagnose heart issues before they become serious heart problems that can shorten your life. To find out more about how a cardiac evaluation can help you, call Dr. Daniel Elias Melville of Melville Medicine in Southlake, Texas at (817) 676-2010. Call now!